New Umiaq // Collector's LE Print
This newly-built umiaq belongs to Quuniq crew, the youngest in Utqiagvik. Whaling tradition is passed on with intention to younger generations, as Iñupiat increasingly understand the importance of cultural identity through traditional practices over modern versions. “Everyone gets excited by the outboards but as I’ve gotten older I prefer the [traditional] umiaq. It’s the patience and it’s more challenging,” says captain Qallu Reich. “When I was younger I’d get excited to chase whales around [by motorized boat] but there’s challenge and balance and beauty to this.” I found seeing this new umiaq made me emotional, as I was so happy to see the continuing thread of culture moving onwards into the future.
All my collector’s edition limited prints are carefully profiled for fantastically accurate and consistent reproductions using giclée printing techniques.
- This print is offered in a limited edition of 8 (Medium), or 4 (Large)
- *Please note the Live Preview shows size Medium
- Comes with a Certificate of Authenticity including edition information
- Numbered and hand-signed by Kiliii Yuyan
- Printed on Hahnemuhle German Etching with a textured finish, the velvety matte surface has a warm white hue providing a perfect surface for archival fine art photography.
- FSC approved, sustainably sourced paper
- Printed using archival pigment ink